leftchannel
headline

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April Snow-ers Bring May Flowers

Wow!  What a difference a week makes, doesn't it?  Last weekend we had a drop of summer--sunshine, balmy southern breezes, temps in the 80's.  Back to winter this weekend--gray clouds whistling through bearing gifts of snow and wind.  Hmmpf!  What kind of a spring is that?  Just a typical spring in Chicago; I guess that's how we get our 50 degree average temperature around here....a few days in the twenties and a few days in the eighties and our average temperature is now fifty.

Which is why, my last week's post was cautioning not to buy or plant too early.  A reader did have a response to me....Yeah!  (I often wonder if I am writing for myself only).  So, thank you, thank you, thank you, to Heather for sending me a courteous and informative reply!  Heather wrote to me, as an employee of the Growing Place.  She agreed with me that many garden centers--very often the big box stores--put out inappropriate plants for our weather--like tomatoes.  And Heather you are so right!  We are a good two-three weeks out from safely planting those types of plants out...unless you do have a crystal ball and can foretell the future, knowing that we will not have another frost again for the rest of the spring.  Unfortunately, I don't.  So I will abide by the garden rule of May 15th being our average frost free date.  But, remember what I said about above about averages, and even our garden rule isn't a guarantee.

Heather also mentioned that at The Growing Place, (which is a wonderful garden store, by the way...and sidenote here,  often when I am out working in the Idea Garden, a guest may ask where she may locate a particular, maybe unusual, plant that we have in our designs.  While I don't think it appropriate as an employee of Cantigny, to tout a particular business, I will make a suggestion of several local businesses, and I can tell you, that The Growing Place is one that frequents my suggestions) they do their best to make sure that the plants they are selling you now are the ones that you can safely be planting now.  And, Heather, it has to be a difficult balancing act between demand and customer success, as you pointed out--and I applaud you folks for doing your best to educate our local gardeners!

If you want a shopping experience, seek out some of your neighborhood garden centers for knowledgeable suggestions and design tips. The big box stores serve their purpose as well--but please know the difference.  So, you, as a local gardener, have a balancing act of your own.  When to plant....when to be patient.  Where to shop to get a "bargain"-priced plant and where to shop to get some solid (and friendly) garden advice.  Happy (patient) Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment